Here's two very interesting hybrid Polaroid Films....Chocolate and Viva. Both are produced in very limited quantities and can be difficult to find. For the past couple years I have been buying this film from Lord Of The Lens, but they stopped selling it. Now I am getting it from Unsaleable. They are located in Austria, so prices are in Euros, and with the current exchange rates, this means fairly expensive film. Chocolate film is currently 28 Euros for a twin pack (20 prints) and Viva is 14 Euros for a single pack (10 prints)

I'll discuss Viva film in the near future. This post is all about Chocolate film and the gorgeous results that make it a worthy extravagance. I use this film in my 1965 Automatic 100 and I get results ranging from deep chocolate tones to vivid pinks. These shots were taken on the beach in New Jersey within minutes of each other...





This is the official description of the film's properties from the Unsaleable web site...

This unique film has rich dark chocolatey Dmax's and soft, slightly mottled, lightly red / pink Dmins. The film is a hybrid product using Colour negative, colour developer and B+W positive. The silver in the colour negative activates the B+W positive as normal but the additional dye release from the colour negative gives the B+W positive and additional chocolate coloured tone. The interesting mottle effect visible in lighter areas comes from an interaction of the developer and the texture of the positive. As the film is based on colour negative it should be exposed, processed, imbibed and peeled apart as normal for colour peel apart film.

Here are some other great examples of Chocolate film from some very talented photographers...


Wallclouds by J Craigen




LA by Shimoto




Viola in Chocolate by Micaela

3 comments:

Jay said...

Thanks for including my shot.

From the first one I peeled apart, I thought that this was the most beautiful and interesting film Polaroid had produced. I'm cursing the weak dollar, and the inability of other film producers to pick it up.

Christopher Paquette said...

Totally agree with you Jay....

m said...

I'm honored that you chose to use my photo, thank you, really.