PHOTO/arts MAGAZINE is pleased to announce its second annual juried photography competition.
|Lake Superior (2011)|
About the theme:
If something is Self Contained it is said to be complete in itself; fully independent. Someone who is self contained is thought of as being reserved and in control. We may or may not equate self containment with self contentment. Perhaps a very thin line exists between self containment and self confinement. Just some things to consider. I am open to a wide range of explorations on this theme. Release that inner formality and self control. Breathe deep. Scream loudly. Show me what this theme is all about.
I am inviting photographers to submit up to five images that illustrate a response to the meaning of Self Contained. The best images will be presented on November 3rd in PHOTO/arts MAGAZINE as an online exhibition and will also be published in a photobook.
And this year there will be prizes!!
1st Place: $200 gift certificate to Blurb Books
2nd place: $100 gift certificate to Photo-Eye Bookstore
3rd Place: $50 gift certificate to Freestyle Photographic Supply
Deadline for Entries: October 1st, 2012 (There will be no extensions!)
Notification of winners: October 20th, 2012
Publication of winning entries: November 3rd, 2012
Publication of Book: Early 2013
1. Submit up to five images related to the theme Self Contained. All formats are welcome including film, digital, color or B & W. If you send more than one image, they should all be part of a single series. Please do not send multiple images showing different interpretations of the theme.
2. Do not send large sized files. Please send files at a maximum of 1200 pixels on the largest side. Please attach your files to an email message, do not send .zip files or similar file sharing methods.
3. Please name your files with your own name like this... JaneSMITH_01 JaneSMITH_02 etc.
4. You may send a short bio about yourself, but please note that bio's will have zero influence on the selection process. The pictures you send in are what matter, not where you went to school or how many exhibitions you have participated in. So keep those bio's short and sweet!
5. Send a brief statement describing how your images define and interpret the theme. This one does matter! A statement is not required to participate in the competition, but it really helps.
6. By submitting images you are agreeing to allow publication of your work on PHOTO/arts MAGAZINE, and in the Blurb photobook to be published in 2013. You retain all copyright and ownership of your work. All published work will identify you as the photographer.
7. There is no entry fee. The Blurb book will be sold at the author's price (no profit added). This is a profit-free competition designed to enhance the democratic nature of photography. This competition does not distinguish between professionals and amateurs, young or old, etc. All are welcome to submit.
8. Winners will be selected by Christopher H. Paquette, Editor of PHOTO/arts MAGAZINE. Prizes will be sent to selected winners after publication of the book, and will be sent no later than January 31st, 2013.
9. Send Images, bio, and statement to: