I did a quick drive by re-visit of Edge today to do some test compositions. I'm looking for a companion piece to compliment Goodwill, and none of my existing work does that right now. During my portfolio review on Saturday at Hous Projects, Ruben Natal San-Miguel suggested I go back and shoot Edge as a vertical composition in the same style as Goodwill. I think it's a great suggestion, and since I pass by it every day, I got a chance to do it today. I'm not sure if this is a final version yet, but I do think the lighting and sky/clouds today match up fairly nicely with Goodwill. I'll shoot it several more times as the Fall foliage colors develop. It's important to the shot that the trees be a variety of color instead of just green. I shot the original horizontal version of Edge almost exactly a year ago, and the reds in the foliage were key to the image success. Edge is not as tightly composed as Goodwill, and never can be, but I do love the small green shrub in the lower left to compliment the girl's position in Goodwill. I like these two images as a pair. This kind of critical eye and constructive thought process was exactly why I'm so glad I went through the portfolio review process. I wish I could do something like that on a monthly basis!



2 comments:

ruben said...

Looks great Christopher! If the asphalt of the parking is made darker for higher contrast, the words will stand out even more.
Also, try it when all the foliage is in complete fall shades. Looks great though! Edge from Foliage!

Porfolio Reviews are for the photographers development. I am very happy and proud that you are already taking steps ahead! Bravo!
This is a great example of it.

Christopher Paquette said...

I agree about the darker tone needed on the asphalt.The ideal shot would be just after a rain shower!

Thanks Ruben!