vegas strip. Venturi, Scott Brown Assoc. 1968.

I love the never ending process of connection that involves finding new books to read via bibliographies. The majority of books I own have been purchased as a direct result of finding out about them in the further reading section at the back of something I have found to be very influential reading. My books develop a relational context and I find myself reading a half dozen or more simultaneously; reading one and then jumping over to another because the first book triggered a thought that I remember from the second or third, and so forth. Several books I own refer often to Learning from Las Vegas by Robert Venturi and Denise Scott Brown.I already owned a copy of Complexity & Contradiction in Architecture by Venturi, and I always found it a dry and difficult read. But Learning from Las Vegas is written in a different style and I think that is coming from the voice of Denise Scott Brown. Postmodernism explained through the lens of Las Vegas, and it is all making perfect sense to me now!



No comments: