For the second year in a row I am participating in a photography exhibit at the annual conference of the Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture. The photographic theme for this year is Loving your Mother: Farming as if the Earth Matters, 2009.. Throughout the 2008 growing season I made portraits of my harvest. These are all seed grown, 100% organic produce photographed within minutes of being picked from the garden.




"The time is past to think of this as a hobby for enthusiasts; it is a fundamental part of human life."

Those words were written 30 years ago by Christopher Alexander in his book A Pattern Language in the chapter on vegetable gardening, and they echo my own reasons for growing organic vegetables at home, from seed. Alexander warned of the disconnection that people have from their food sources, and the resulting insecurities and imbalances that follow. I firmly believe that we are now almost past the point of no return for most of American society in the loss of connection to the soil and our food sources. We make ourselves feel warm and fuzzy by buying organic foods at the Supermarket, and yet we have no idea where these foods were grown or how they were processed and packaged.

It is only by growing at least some of our own foods in soils that we have dug and prepared with our own hands, and in sharing that produce with our friends and neighbors, can we truly get back to the fundamental organic security that we all need as humans. It is this philosophy that prompted me to join PASA, and for the 2009 season I have now joined a local Community Supported Agriculture program at Pennypack Farm in Horsham , Pa. My goal is to consume only produce from my own garden or from the CSA during the entire 2009 growing season, as well as harvest as much produce as I can for storage into the Fall & Winter.



PASA Mission Statement...

Promoting profitable farms which produce healthy food for all people while respecting the natural environment.

PASA works to increase the number of farms and the economic viability of existing farms in Pennsylvania through farm-based educational programs, organizing an annual conference, publishing a quarterly newsletter, networking to build markets for local and sustainably produced food, providing educational programs and opportunities for new farmers, and providing information and education on farmer-developed value-added products.

PASA works to provide healthy food for people in both rural and urban locations. PASA increases consumer awareness about health and safe food through advocating, educating, and networking with hunger and food advocacy groups throughout the state.

PASA creates a thriving natural environment by promoting and providing educational programs about sustainable agricultural practices, building coalitions with environmental and statewide organizations, and promoting policies that support a positive relationship between agriculture and the natural environment.





Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture


Pennypack Farm


Where I get my Seeds

2 comments:

nullandroid said...

Wow, I'm so glad to hear that you care about these issues! My wife and I in the past year have become really alarmed at the way things are managed in the back room of our grocery store (and thousands of other grocery stores around the nation. It doesn't end there either, other corporations worry me, too). Sustainability is very much a mindset that more people need to adopt for their own health and the planet's.

We recently switched to 100% wind electricity this month. We also converted my old darkroom to a chicken coop and purchased 5 laying hens for fresh eggs. My Wife is setting up half of the backyard for vegetable gardens.

How much area do you need to plant to feed yourself? My wife thinks we can get three growing seasons here in Texas.

I should also mention that I'm in the process of researching a much greener approach to darkroom work (chemicals in the like). Progress is slow going as I don't really find Folgernol (coffee grounds) an adequate substitute, and I'm still weighing the environmental impact of metol, sodium sulfite, and a few other chemicals.

-tay256

Christopher Paquette said...

I have heard that you need 1/4 acre per person to be totally self sufficient from a vegetable garden.
Obviously much less is needed if you will supplement some store bought items.

I wish I could raise hens for eggs. I just don't have the room for them in my suburban back yard.