Gong Hey Fat Choy

These are really the first photographs I have made in 2012. (At least it is still January) The book is finished and I am spiritually and mentally liberated to make images again. I do not follow astrology, but the Chinese New Year had me wondering about my sign. I was born in the year of the Pig (Yin Earth) Honest, gallant, sturdy, sociable, peace-loving, patient, loyal, hard-working, trusting, sincere, calm, understanding, thoughtful, scrupulous, passionate, and intelligent. Can be naïve, over-reliant, self-indulgent, gullible, fatalistic, and materialistic.  Some fits , some doesn't. Can't we find elements of ourselves in every sign of the Zodiac? One of the reasons I don't hold too much stock in it.


Eating New Year's dinner in a vegetarian restaurant (House of Vegetarian, 68 Mott Street), the young children at the next table were chanting the Cantonese version of Happy New Year.... "Gong Hey Fat Choy" while they entertained us with small dragon marionette puppets and even a delightful display of Chinese acrobatics by a precious two year old named Ellery, who could spell her own name.


These are from Mott Street, Chinatown, NYC... 














No comments: